Waist trimmers have exploded in popularity and are available on Amazon.com and other retailers for under $20 in many cases. While there is no substitute for a healthy diet and regular exercise when it comes to losing fat, there is unquestionably room for add-ons and supplements.
Your belly is one of the main culprits regarding holding onto excess fat. Unfortunately, it is also one of the hardest places to remove fat from. Your stomach also holds onto the surplus water stored by the body, so exercise and dietary restriction is not always a successful combo. This is where the waist trimmer comes into play.
Comparison: Best Waist Trimmers
[table id=13 /]
What Is A Waist Trimmer Belt?
It is a garment that looks like a corset and is usually made from neoprene fabric which is lightweight, comfortable yet sturdy. You wrap it around your waist and it is designed to hold firm while you work out. It retains the heat from your midsection and sweats off water weight from the area.
According to its manufacturers, the added heat in your stomach removes water weight. Typically, the body releases the heat produced during an exercise session, but a waist trimmer keeps the heat in your body which leads to a higher rate of calorie burn; excess water around the midsection is removed, so you benefit from a svelter figure. Additionally, the waist trimmer boosts your metabolic rate so you burn twice as many calories than you would when exercising without the belt.
It also acts as a lower back support which could prove useful to exercise lovers with an injury in this area.
Why Do I Need A Waist Trimmer?
First and foremost, it should NOT be marketed as a ‘fat loss’ product even though the metabolic boost should increase fat loss. It is primarily a way to improve your physique as the waist trimmer tightens your midsection because it removes water weight. Any weight loss you experience is likely to be temporary, so it is ideally a short-term solution. For example, if you have a big social event and wish to look your best, a waist trimmer can help give the appearance of improved physical appearance.
Proponents suggest a waist trimmer helps eliminate toxins as it causes you to sweat more but you still need to follow a sensible diet and exercise plan. Make sure the belt rests against your skin so remove all outer clothing before trying it on. The thicker part of the trimmer should be at your back. Wrap it around your waist and fasten before wearing your clothes over the item.
Perform your usual workout while wearing the product. You can expect to feel warmer than usual around your midsection as it will seem to produce excess sweat. Sip water for the duration of the training session; failure to do so could lead to dehydration.
Top 3 Waist Trimmers
1 – TNT Pro Series Waist Trimmer
The TNT Pro Series waist trimmer is ideal for individuals with larger physiques. The extra wide design means it wraps around your entire stomach and it is made with 100% latex free neoprene. The material is comfortable to wear and can endure inclement weather conditions with ease.
Its unique design means you don’t have to worry about the fabric rolling up your stomach; a common issue with older belt models. We like the option to customise the TNT Pro to fit your shape. There is a total of five premium sizes to choose from, and each of them comes with a fully adjustable Velcro strap for a perfect fit every single time. The interior of the belt has a specially designed grid, so it won’t slip and slide as you exercise or perform your daily tasks.
According to the manufacturers, the TNT Pro waist trimmer:
- Turns your body into your own personal hot sauna
- Helps you retain your body heat while shedding excess water
- Boosts your metabolism faster than any rival product on the market
- Offers long-term high-quality performance thanks to the durable material used in its construction
- Fits comfortably and covers your whole stomach
- Fits perfectly beneath your clothes to the point where no one can tell if you have it on
Customers have provided extremely positive feedback on the TNT Pro although there are a few complaints. It might not fit if you are short or slim and the material could cause an allergic reaction even though it is supposed to be latex free. Overall, however, the TNT Pro is one of the most sought after waist trimmers on the market.
2 – Sweet Sweat Premium Waist Trimmer
The Sweet Sweat waist trimmer has featured on numerous late night infomercials and is one of the most reviewed products on the market with thousands of customers leaving feedback online. Although most people will recognise the pink version, there is a yellow version for men who don’t care to look pretty in pink!
It comes in three sizes and is specially designed to fit around your waist comfortably. The Sweet Sweat belt is made from industry standard latex-free neoprene and is flexible to fit your shape and size. As a bonus, the waist trimmer comes with a free sample of the brand’s ‘Workout Enhancer’ which is supposed to boost the impact of the belt during exercise.
According to the manufacturer, the Sweet Sweat waist trimmer:
- Raises your body’s core temperature as you exercise. The result is enhanced thermogenic activity and an increased level of sweat production.
- Contours perfectly around your waist. As it adjusts perfectly to your shape and size, it provides additional back support. As well as helping you during workouts, it can help correct your posture.
- Customers are entitled to a 100% money back guarantee if they aren’t happy with their purchase and wish to return the item within 90 days.
The Sweet Sweat waist trimmer is phenomenally popular, but unlike its TNT Pro rival, users have complained about an unpleasant smell while wearing the belt. In extreme cases, customers have removed the belt because the odour was so overpowering. On rare occasions, the black dye of the waist trimmer seeps onto clothes and skin. Such complaints are few and far between with the vast majority of consumers delighted with this product.
3 – McDavid 491 Waist Trimmer Ab belt
The McDavid 491 waist trimmer supports the abdominal and lower back muscles and is made from the usual latex-free neoprene material that is the hallmark of high-quality belts. It has a unique method of closure with an adjustable hook and loop to make this belt easy to put on with the minimum of adjustment.
This waist trimmer is made from premium quality material and is exceptionally durable. It is a belt for weightlifting enthusiasts as the level of compression it provides also keeps the muscles around your midsection stable. As a result, you can perform exercises such as deadlifts, squats, and Russian twists with confidence.
According to the manufacturer, the McDavid 491 waist trimmer:
- Is a one size fits all belt; it is 40 inches long in total and easily adjustable.
- Helps support your core and stabilises your body. The result is improved balance, better circulation, and improved posture.
- Compresses your midsection to keep your muscles warm. This reduces issues such as fatigue and cramping so you can perform at your best for longer.
- Retains therapeutic heat to relieve sore muscles and it can even help ease the pain associated with arthritis.
- Cushions the lower back and abdominal region while you exercise to reduce injuries.
Although the McDavid 491 belt is supposed to one size fits all, larger men find it difficult to wear the product. While neoprene material can cause rashes on very rare occasions, it seems as if wearers of this belt suffer more than those who use the other two products on the list. Despite these minor issues, McDavid remains a trusted brand, and this waist trimmer is one of its bestselling fitness products.
What to Look For in a Waist Trimmer
- Material: Only purchase a waist trimmer made from neoprene material. Previously, belts were made from other materials, but they caused severe discomfort to wearers. Neoprene is durable but soft and does an excellent job of increasing your core temperature.
- Comfort: Don’t waste money on something that doesn’t fit! Always carefully measure your waist before making your purchase. The best technique is to wrap a measuring tape around the widest part of your torso and write down the measurement before buying. The trimmer is supposed to be tight but not so restrictive that you can hardly breathe. On the flipside, if it is too loose it will brush against the skin causing burns.
- Design: The best belts feature Velcro straps and metal hooks as fasteners. If this isn’t well designed, the neoprene can tear because of the compression created by the product.
- Marketing: Don’t listen to companies that claim their waist trimmer can strip fat off your body. In reality, you will lose a little bit of body fat, a lot of water weight and your midsection should look much better as a result.
- Cost: You can find a high-quality waist trimmer for less than $20 online. Forget about expensive belts that cost $100+; they are seldom more efficient than their cheaper counterparts.
Benefits of Waist Trimmers
- Water Loss: The belt causes an increased level of sweating around the stomach which promotes enhanced water loss. The result is a slimmer waist in the short term.
- Fat Loss: Although trimmers are not designed to help lose weight, in the long run, research suggests the heat generated helps increase your metabolic rate which leads to a fat loss boost.
- Back Pain Relief: The extra heat works to soothe lower back pain.
- Better Posture: Waist trimmers are cushioned and designed to support your back muscles. If you tend to slouch or have otherwise poor posture, this product can help as it trains the muscles to stand up straight and reduce the stress on your spine and lower back. Therefore, your position remains perfect while wearing the belt. Excellent posture is imperative when weight training as it can help prevent injury.
- Confidence Boost: Regardless of whether it has long-term effects, a waist trimmer can help you look and feel great in the short to medium term. As it is worn beneath your clothes, you can even wear it outside the gym or home.
Negatives of Waist Trimmer Belts
- Initial Discomfort: As anyone who has ever worn a corset to a fancy dress party will tell you, having something wrapped around your waist is uncomfortable! It will take a while to get used to the new sensation.
- Possible Skin Burns: Be careful not to wear the belt for extended periods as you could suffer from skin burns. You could also experience skin abrasions if the belt comes loose as you exercise.
- Can Lead to Unrealistic Expectations: This is down to the manufacturer. While most companies market responsibly, some try to sell waist trimmers as a magic fat loss tool. In reality, the product is only worthwhile when used in conjunction with a smart diet and exercise plan.
- Potential Rash & Pain in Stomach: Once again, this only becomes a problem if you wear the belt for too long. The material can irritate the skin as it continues to produce sweat. Without air, the skin can become inflamed, and a rash is the unfortunate side effect.
A waist trimmer can be a useful tool in your arsenal as you fight to get in great physical shape. It increases the amount of sweat produced by your midsection and helps remove water weight. The result is a slimmer waist in the short term. Even though it potentially accelerates your rate of fat loss, don’t use the belt as a substitute for a sensible diet and exercise regime.