The weight loss industry will be worth around $300 billion in 2017, and there are apparently 100 million ‘dieters’ in the United States alone! Small wonder then that companies continue to release fat burners. These products are designed to help you achieve your fat loss goal. They contain ingredients that are supposed to boost your metabolism and increase your overall rate of fat loss at rest. Let’s take a look at what fat burners are and the mistakes you must avoid. Then we can analyze the best fat burners currently available for women.
Comparison: Best Fat Burner For Women
[table id=18 /]
What is a Fat Burner?
Fat burners are supplements designed to burn fat, boost energy and improve the overall appearance of users. Most people use them as dietary supplements to help remove fat quickly so they can achieve certain fitness or aesthetic goals. Even bodybuilders use them to remove the final layer of fat that obscures their vascularity.
How Does A Fat Burner Work?
The vast majority of fat burners are stimulants that speed up your body’s metabolism. As a result, you are more likely to burn fat for energy. Most products contain ingredients such as caffeine, HCA, pyruvate, and chitosan which apparently curb hunger cravings as well as boosting your metabolic rate. Fat burners can also be thermogenic; this means they raise the temperature of your body which also spikes your metabolism.
The Different Types of Fat Burners
There are six distinct types of fat burner available although you will seldom find more than two or three on the market:
- Thermogenics: This is the most common fat burner type. It is usually a mixture of several substances including caffeine and yohimbine. It works by increasing your body’s temperature by one degree but is only effective when you exercise. It boosts your metabolic rate, and your body digests food faster which decreases your fat stores from the meal you just ate. Possible effects include increasing heart rate, better concentration and a greater degree of alertness.
- Carb Blockers: Most people’s cravings involve foods high in carbohydrates; in particular, unhealthy processed foods and sugar. A carb blocker inhibits the enzymes in your body that digest carbs in food, so the sugars pass right through your system.
- Appetite Suppressants: These products do exactly what the name suggests; they decrease your desire for food. The most effective appetite suppressants allow you to go hours without feeling any pangs whatsoever.
- Thyroid Regulators: In certain cases, people who struggle with their weight have an issue with their thyroid which doesn’t produce enough of the hormones that allow their metabolism to work at a reasonable rate. Thyroid Regulators increase production of forskolin and guggulsterone.
- Fat Blockers: These products work in a similar manner to carb blockers. They prevent the digestion and absorption of fat.
- Cortisol Blockers: Excessive cortisol production leads to an increase in body fat; especially around the midsection. Cortisol blockers prevent the impact of this hormone on your body.
Top 3 Fat Burners for Women
1 – Old School Labs Vintage Burn
Don’t let the labelling fool you; this is a fat burner for men and women. First and foremost, it comes from a reputable lab that has been operating at a high standard for over 40 years. It contains natural ingredients such as:
- Raspberry Ketones: Increases energy and suppresses appetite.
- Green Tea Extract: Increases metabolic rate and provides you with antioxidants for a better overall health of your cells.
- Garcinia Fruit Extract: Prevents the formation of new fat cells.
Other ingredients include Caffeine, Green Coffee Bean Extract, Chrysin and Forskohlii Root Extract. Also, it contains no synthetic additives, artificial substances, and preservatives.
Unlike lesser fat burners, Vintage Burn preserves muscle while getting rid of your stubborn fat. This is essential because muscle burns up to three times as many calories as fat. The slimmer and more muscular you become, the easier it is to maintain a healthy weight. Vintage Burn’s unusual combination of ingredients ensures you get to experience this virtuous circle.
We advise you to take one capsule twice a day with meals for the first three days. If you suffer no adverse effects, take two capsules three times a day with food. Avoid taking Vintage Burn 4-5 hours before bedtime or else you may have trouble sleeping.
It has received rave reviews on Amazon as users reported fat loss combined with lean muscle mass gain and offers great value for money.
2 – Fit Affinity Lean Fat Burner For Her
This is one of the leading fat burners on the market designed specifically for the needs of the female body. The manufacturer suggests that some women will see results after just one week. Fit Affinity aims to curb your appetite, increase your energy levels throughout the day and give you a welcome concentration boost. Its ingredients include:
- Biotin: Transports fat cells to the mitochondria where they are used for energy.
- Cayenne Powder: Boosts your metabolic rate and works with Biotin to metabolize fat cells in the mitochondria.
- L-Carnitine: This amino acid increases your sensitivity to insulin and decreases blood sugar levels.
Other ingredients include Caffeine, Choline, Guggul Powder Extract and Green Tea Leaf Powder Extract. You should take two capsules before working out or two capsules with breakfast on a non-training day. You can purchase it as part of a package with a Lean Body Sculptor and customers say the two products work well together.
We found that it did increase focus, reduce fatigue and it does a good job when it comes to metabolizing carbohydrates and fats. However, it contains a significant amount of caffeine so don’t take any capsules within a few hours of your bedtime. It is a little on the expensive side for a 45 day supply (30 days of the Lean Body Sculptor), but unlike other fat burners, you get two products for the price of one.
3 – Sheer Strength Labs Sheer Thermo
Sheer Thermo is a thermogenic fat burner and is designed to retain muscle while cutting fat and boosting your cognitive function. It is one of the few products on the market to target belly fat directly thanks to the inclusion of Green Tea Catechins. It contains seven fat burning ingredients including:
- Yohimbine: Boosts adrenaline and speeds up the fat burning process.
- 5-HTP: Improves serotonin levels to reduce your appetite.
- Bacopa Monnieri: Increases your level of concentration and focus.
Other ingredients include Hordenine, Caffeine, Green Tea Catechins, and Forskolin.
You should take a total of two capsules a day; one in the morning and one in the evening. As always, it is a good idea to try one a day until you are sure your body can handle it and don’t take any pills within a few hours of bedtime.
It has received mainly good reviews online as most consumers are happy with their purchase. Of course, some claim it doesn’t work, but we don’t know if these individuals followed a reasonable diet and exercise plan. It is competitively priced for a month’s supply which makes it one of the cheapest fat burners for women. There is at least a semblance of scientific research behind this product which makes it worth a try.
Effective Ingredients to Look For in a Fat Burner for Women
Women still take up the lion’s share of the weight loss industry (although men are catching up fast), so a lot of products are marketed for their specific needs. As is the case with every fitness supplement, some work while others are garbage. Be wary of pills that are loaded with caffeine as they are no more effective than a cup of coffee. Ephedra was banned in 2014 so fat burner manufacturers needed to go back to the drawing board. Here are some ingredients you should pay attention to.
Green Tea Extract
It has been used in China for thousands of years but was only regularly included in fat burners after ephedra was banned. It gives you all-day energy, helps burn fat faster and is an anti-inflammatory.
This is the purest form of Alpha-Lipoic-Acid which removes sugar from the blood faster. R-ALA is effective at breaking down sugar for ATP production, so carbohydrates are used for energy instead of being stored as fat.
This fatty acid naturally burns fat and increases your muscle mass. It improves your food intake efficiency, and once you get down to your ideal weight, CLA helps you stay there.
Although you should take its ‘miracle fat burner’ moniker with a pinch of salt, raspberry ketone is a chemical capable of promoting weight loss by spiking your metabolism. It contains adiponectin, a protein that breaks down fat and as it comes from raspberries, it is a natural ingredient.
This extract comes from the bark of the Yohimbe tree in Africa. It boosts the fat burning process and even acts as an aphrodisiac! Supplements containing Yohimbine increase the mobilization of fatty acid, so your body will burn fat at a faster rate.
Things to Consider
It is dangerous to completely rely on fat burners to help you achieve your weight loss goals. There are some potential issues faced by users of these products, so please consider the following:
- They Can Burn More Than Fat: Fat burners might also burn triglycerides (essential fatty acids) and protein.
- Metabolic Strain: Purposefully increasing your metabolic rate carries risks. For example, you could increase your blood pressure and add extra stress to your immune system and heart. Additionally, certain products interfere with sleeping patterns.
- Efficacy: Caffeine and guarana are among the safest stimulants, but they have minimal effect when used in small quantities. Increasing the dosage could result in unwanted side effects. Stronger ingredients could lead to serious health problems.
- Research: Only purchase fat burners that are scientifically proven to have worked on humans. You would be amazed at how many products make outrageous claims based on rodent testing!
- Overuse: Fat burners should be used on a temporary basis only! Over time, your body adapts, and the product is no longer as useful. Your body will probably slow down your metabolism so if you suddenly stop using the stimulant after long-term use; you’ll regain the fat you lost.
- Not a Magic Pill: No matter who you are, fat burners are not designed to compensate for a terrible diet! Most fat burners are thermogenic, so they work by increasing the temperature of your body. The fat loss effect only comes into play when you exercise, so you still need to hit the gym. Don’t expect good results if you eat poorly and are physically inactive.
- Ingredients: The supplement industry is always releasing new products. Some of them are completely worthless, and we include fat burners on that list. There are a handful of ingredients known to aid fat loss. Stick to products that contain these ingredients and steer clear of ‘fads.’
- Avoid Proprietary Blend: Manufacturers often market new supplements by saying they are made with the brand’s distinct proprietary blend. In reality, this just allows them to avoid listing the dosage of each ingredient. As a result, the product may have a level of Green Tea Extract or Yohimbine well below the level required to see a real effect.
Remember, 3,500 calories equals one pound of fat so no matter how potent your fat burner is, you still have to eat sensibly and exercise regularly. It is a mistake to think you can take a pill and watch as the pounds fall off effortlessly. This simply won’t happen, and any company that claims you can lose weight without breaking a sweat or changing your diet is lying to you.
Also, don’t listen to wild claims of 5-10 pounds of fat loss a week. As well as being a dangerously unhealthy amount to lose, it simply isn’t possible without over-exercising and near starvation. Women need to use a fat burner in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle. You can expect to lose 1-2 pounds a week so be patient; fat loss is never an easy process.