You might be shocked to learn that a famous car manufacturer placed its name on a diet, but the GM plan has garnered rave reviews since its inception in the 1980s. In a move that was arguably ahead of its time, executives at General Motors created a weight loss program with the aid of the American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the United States Department of Agriculture.
Perhaps the company was worried that overweight employees would develop health problems, take more sick leave and reduce the manufacturer’s overall efficiency. Whatever the reason, the GM Diet Plan was tested at the world famous Johns Hopkins Research Centre and given the seal of approval by General Motors in 1985. The 7-day plan targets weight loss of 10-17 pounds and works by consuming foods that burn more calories than they contain (achieving a caloric deficit). The diet was a huge success as employees also reported improved energy, confidence, and efficiency. If this sounds like something you would be interested in, read on to find out more.
What is the GM Diet Plan?
In simple terms, the GM Diet Plan is an accelerated fire weight loss program designed to strip fat from your body quickly. It is an intense diet which is why you should only follow the 7-day plan. Don’t attempt consecutive weeks on the program as it will lose its effectiveness on the second week and may make you ill since the human body isn’t designed for rapid weight loss over a medium or long-term.
As well as helping you lose anywhere from 10 to 17 pounds in one week, the plan puts your body through the process of detox. As well as consuming mainly liquid nourishment, you must drink plenty of water, probably significantly more than you do right now. As a consequence, you should feel more energetic and vibrant once the diet is finished. Unlike the majority of weight loss programs which are restrictive, the GM plan offers a little more leeway with vegetarian and Indian versions available.
The GM Diet Plan
Here is a quick overview of the 7-day program with some added information at the end.
- Day 1: Eat as much fruit as you like but no bananas! Experts recommend gorging on watermelons for best results.
- Day 2: Eat as many vegetables as you like, they can be raw or cooked. It’s a good idea to have a baked potato for breakfast to give you enough complex carbohydrates to get you through the day.
- Day 3: Consume as much fruit and vegetables as you wish but avoid bananas and potatoes on this day.
- Day 4: You can eat up to eight bananas and drink up to three glasses of milk today. You must also consume a special soup which we outline below. It can be eaten in unlimited quantities.
- Day 5: Today is all about tomatoes and beef! Eat up to 6 whole tomatoes and 20 ounces of meat in two portions of 10 ounces apiece.
- Day 6: You can eat as much beef as you wish today along with an unlimited amount of vegetables. By now, you should look and feel significantly better than you did at the start of the diet.
- Day 7: On the final day, you drink fruit juice and eat brown rice with an unlimited number of vegetables. Congratulations! You have made it through the GM Diet Plan. The rewards should include improved energy and weight loss of 10-17 pounds.
- Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water a day. More is better.
- No alcohol is permitted.
- You are allowed to drink green tea, herbal tea or coffee but no milk, sugar or cream. Diet soda is also allowed but try to restrict your intake as the sweeteners in these drinks can spike your appetite.
GM Wonder Soup Recipe
You can consume it in unlimited quantities from Day 4 onwards. Here is the recipe:
- 500ml of water.
- One cabbage.
- Three tomatoes (medium sized).
- One bunch of celery (quantity not clearly defined).
- Six large onions.
- Two green peppers.
- Chicken soup stock.
- Salt and pepper to taste; very limited quantities.
This soup is a detox masterclass and is incredibly easy to make. Chop the vegetables and add all the ingredients into a large pot. Simmer for up to 45 minutes or whenever the vegetables are cooked.
GM Diet: The Scientific Explanation
The plan is carefully crafted; each day offers something new, as you’ll see below.
- Day 1: By consuming only fruit, you are preparing your body for what lies ahead.
- Day 2: The morning carbohydrates help you function during the day and should be eaten with butter for added fats. The vegetables are low in calories but keep you satiated.
- Day 3: The fruit provides the carbohydrates as your system starts to burn the fat.
- Day 4: Your hunger pangs will probably have subsided by now. Bananas are introduced for potassium and sodium and also curb any cravings you have for sweet food.
- Day 5: Beef adds protein to the diet; tomatoes add fibre and aid digestion.
- Day 6: Pretty much the same situation as the previous day and your body is now in full weight loss mode.
- Day 7: A healthy finish to the program with lots of fibre. Your system is now cleaner than it has ever been and you should feel energetic and happy to have lost a reasonable amount of weight.
To recap, all of the foods consumed on the GM Diet Plan serve a unique purpose:
- Fruit: Fibre, satiety and improved digestion.
- Vegetables: Vitamins and nutrients. Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli can help keep hunger pangs at bay.
- Brown Rice: Complex carbohydrates and low in calories and fat.
- Protein: Feeds the muscles, increases your metabolic rate to help burn fat at a faster rate.
GM Diet Sample
Although the GM Diet lays out most of the details, there is still a little bit of room to manoeuvre. Here is a sample plan for the week which you can adjust as necessary. It is advisable to drink one or two glasses of water with each meal.
|Breakfast||Snack #1||Lunch||Snack #2||Dinner||Snack #3|
|Day 1||Apple||Half bowl of sliced cantaloupe||Sliced Watermelon||Orange||Apple||Watermelon|
|Day 2||Jacket Potato or Boiled Sweet Potato||Lettuce & Vinegar dressing||Mixed salad with Vinegar||Cup of Cherry Tomatoes||Steamed asparagus, broccoli and cauliflower||Mixed salad with green beans and carrots|
|Day 3||Sliced Apple||Sliced Pineapple or Pear||Salad with cucumber, lettuce and carrots||Orange and Watermelon||Pear||Boiled Beets and Broccoli|
|Day 4||Two bananas and skimmed milk||Milk and two bananas||Bowl of GM Soup||Banana Milkshake||Two bananas||One banana and skimmed milk|
|Day 5||Braised beef||Sliced Tomatoes||GM Soup||GM Soup||Hamburger patty||Sliced tomatoes
Please note that you can only eat 2 x 10 ounce servings of meat
|Day 6||GM Soup and sliced beef||Green salad with lean beef or chicken||Beef and vegetables||GM Soup||Hamburger patty and green salad||Bowl of boiled vegetables|
|Day 7||Brown rice and water melon||Cup of strawberries||GM Soup||Blueberries and raspberries||Brown rice and vegetables||Cup of strawberries|
There is no particular program in concert with the GM Plan barring a recommendation to exercise daily for 10 minutes. If you typically engage in strenuous activity, it is best to dial it down a notch for the duration of the diet.
How Does the GM Diet Compare to Other Rapid Weight Loss Plans?
There is a myriad of weight loss programs that promise to help you shed the pounds quickly. We compare the GM Diet to the 3-Week Diet and Venus Factor.
Fast weight loss, detox, improved energy. Inexpensive to try.
Side effects such as dizziness, weakness, headaches and thirst
10-17 pound loss
- Exercise Plan
Nothing prescribed other than 10 minutes a day.
Yes. The diet consists mainly of fruit and vegetables
The 3 Week Diet
Includes motivational manual and 60-day money back guarantee.
Costs money with pushy sales video.
12-23 pound loss
- Exercise Plan
3 sessions of 20-30 minutes a week.
Significant reduction in calories at the beginning
Researched with women in mind; based on a hormone that boosts female metabolism.
Costs money with pushy sales video.
Focuses on improved physique, but rapid weight loss reported.
- Exercise Plan
Moderate exercise on a daily basis.
Nothing specific although moderation is encouraged.
The GM Diet is free to use whereas the other two require a purchase. However, the Venus Factor and 3-Week Diet do come from reputable sources and have plenty of online support. The rapid fire nature of the GM Diet makes it ideal for a short burst of weight loss, but it should not be used for more than one week at a time.
Benefits of the GM Diet
- It is possible to lose a significant amount of weight quickly in a safe and healthy manner.
- You are forced to increase your consumption of fruit and vegetables which will hopefully help you permanently add this healthy eating style to your diet.
- Your system is completely cleansed of impurities which will improve digestion.
- Your general health should improve because salt and added sugar are removed from the equation.
- Those who have completed the GM Diet say they feel more energetic with a heightened mood.
- Reduces the risk of hypertension, diabetes and insulin resistance.
- Lowers harmful cholesterol levels.
- As it is such a short-term diet, most people will be able to complete it.
Cons & Side Effects of the GM Diet
- The hunger pangs can be severe for the first 2-3 days as you are not used to such a reduction in your calorie intake.
- Possible side effects include dizziness, irritability, headaches, cramping, and thirst.
5 Things to Do on the GM Diet
- Make sure you drink plenty of water to aid the detoxification process; add a slice of lemon or lime to add taste.
- Only use a tiny amount of extra virgin olive oil if you intend to use any oil.
- Try and make vegetables more fun with herbs, lemon, vinegar or another ultra low-calorie dressing.
- Follow all instructions to the letter.
- Eat as much Wonder Soup as you can from Day 4 onwards and feel free to substitute any vegetable in the recipe.
5 Things not to do on the GM Diet
- Use more than one teaspoon of oil on your vegetables.
- Consume any alcohol. It triggers fluid retention and prevents your body flushing out excess liquids. In other words, it messes with detoxification.
- Use salad dressing.
- Eat beans such as kidney, lima or pinto beans as they are high in calories.
- Skip even one day of the diet; it won’t work if you don’t follow instructions.
GM Diet FAQs
1 – Who Can Use the GM Diet?
It is okay to try for anyone in reasonably good health as long as they consult with a doctor. Pregnant women should NEVER attempt it for obvious reasons.
2 – Does it Really Work?
The simple answer is ‘yes.’ The majority of people who completed the GM diet reported significant weight loss. However, you must maintain a healthy diet and exercise regime or else the weight you lost will be quickly regained. Dieters lose up to 17 pounds during the GM plan although your results could vary.
3 – How Do I Maintain Weight Loss Once The Diet Is Finished?
Once you have finished the 7-day diet, make sure your diet continues to consist of fresh fruit, vegetables, lean meat and lots of water. You can indulge now and again. Indeed it is encouraged, but consume unhealthy and fattening ‘treat’ foods in moderation. Engage in moderate exercise three times a week with sessions lasting up to 30 minutes.
4 – For How Long Can I Follow the GM Diet?
The diet must be finished after 7 days. It is possible to follow it again after one week of a ‘normal’ diet.
5 – Am I Allowed Substitutions?
While you should follow the diet as closely as possible, certain substitutions are permitted. For example, you can eat figs, apricots, and dates instead of bananas. You can replace beef with a lean protein source such as chicken or turkey and quinoa or legumes instead of brown rice.